The 10 Dog Commandments for Responsible Owners
- My life is likely to last 10-15 years. Any separation from you will be painful for me. Remember that before you get me.
- Give me time to understand what you want from me.
- Place your trust in me. It is crucial to my well-being.
- Don't be angry with me for long, and don't lock me up as punishment. You have your work, entertainment and friends. I only have you.
- Talk to me sometimes. Even if I don't understand your words, I understand your voice.
- Be aware that however you treat me, I'll never forget it.
- Please don't hit me. I can't hit back, but I can bite and scratch, and I really don't want to do that. You always win that fight.
- Before you scold me for being uncooperative, obstinate or lazy, ask yourself if something might be bothering me. I don't speak your language. Perhaps I'm not getting the right foods, or I've been out in the sun too long, or my heart is getting old and weak.
- Take care of me when I get old. You will grow old, too. You'll hope someone cares.
- Go with me on difficult journeys. Never say, "I can't bear to watch," or "let it happen in my absence". Everything is easier for me if you are there. Remember, I love you.
There is a reason dogs are called man's best friend, may we all take care of our friends and love them dearly.